BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Saul Williams in Houston 4/1/08


When I think of Saul Williams I think of an artist. I don't think: writer, musician, poet, performer, innovator, mentor; because he is all of these things. His work transgresses mere labels and descriptions. When I think of Saul Williams, I think of truth and passion. I think of beauty and how art is truly only art if it speaks honesty. I was very lucky to be at his Houston performance at Warehouse Live, 4/1/08. I will forever remember the intimate performance as moving and inspiring. At certain points, I was almost in tears because Saul has a way of speaking that connects your heart and your mind. DJ CXKiDTONIK, Saul's long time friend, does an amazing job at pounding the beats, moving your body to action. I know this sounds cheesy, and Saul's music may not seem like your cup of tea, but his intensity during his performances make his words come alive. I have never seen such a passionate performer in my life.

He is not just hip-hop. Nor is he spoken word, rap, rock, you name it. His music can not fit in one category and it would be unwise to put him into a box. The crowd that attended the show tonight was mixed. There were NIN shirts, hip-hop headz, rockers, meatheads, all types that came to listen to Saul make a statement. And if you think he is just hip-hop, then here in his own words:

Telegram to Hip Hop: Dear Hip Hop .(stop). This shit has gone too far. (stop). Please see that mixer and turntables are returned to Kool Herc. (stop). The ghettos are dancing off beat. (stop). The master of ceremonies have forgotten that they were once slaves and have neglected the occasion of this ceremony. (stop). Perhaps we should not have encouraged them to use cordless microphones, for they have walked too far from the source and are emitting a lesser frequency (stop)

If you haven't already, then you must check him out! Now, go on.
EDIT: A more descriptive review can be found here, at my other blog home: We Are Not Journalists.

The setlist (I was given the setlist and the band signed it, so I will not post a photocopy here, but I can give you the song order):
Break
Poem
Convict Colony
Grippo
Skin of a Drum
Surrender
Banged and Blown
Niggy Tardust!
Black Stacey
WTF!
No one Ever Does (Directly into Kwame Solo)
Scared Money Intro (fade out for poem)
List of Demands
Coded Language
Montecore's Revenge (CXKiDTRONIK)
________________________
Sunday
DNA
Ritual
Poem

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have heard of him and his music.never seen him live.he sounds wise.gotta check him out.great post. Roots

Liz Simone said...

Thanks, Roots. Check out his shiz and meditate on it.