BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 11, 2008

My Blueberry Nights

A few days ago, I reported about El Madmo, Norah Jones' side project. Now, as I am web-surfing, I run into the trailer of her other side project: acting. Her debut movie, My Blueberry Nights, co-stars, Jude Law and Natalie Portman, who worked together on one of my favorite twisted movies, Closer. They bring star power to this independent film that is directed by Wong Kar Wai. This is his also his first English debut film.

My Blackberry Nights is surely sappy and intense, yet beautifully shot. However, the reviews are quite harsh. Although critics love Wong Kar Wai, the criticisms are within the story-line and it's interpretation in the film. Apparently, the characters come across weak and forgettable and the final cut feels incomplete and rushed. However, this doesn't mean it's a bad film. Norah's character, Elizabeth, goes through a rough break up, journey's across America, taking waitressing jobs, and runs into some other troubled souls along the way, proving how we are all lonely and troubled.

Sounds good to me! I love being reminded of how much I hate my life. Requiem of a Dream, Closer, American Beauty, Ghost World, these are all movies I have eaten ice cream and cried myself to sleep over, so I think I should see this one.

Last, the soundtrack to this movie seems interesting. From Nat King Cole, Otis Redding, Amos Lee, to Cat Power, and covering Neil Young, the musical motif sets as a beautifully fitting mood to the movie.

Debuted at Cannes Film Festival in 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah especially after a break-up(s). Wheres the violin music. Roots

Indie_dinosaur said...

I loved the film. So visually striking! I thought Cat Power and Norah Jones made splendid acting debuts and their songs on the soundtrack are amazing. Def one of my fav soundtracks in a long while!