BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Musicals: Sweeney Todd

There's a whole in the world like a great black pit
and the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pin can spit
and it goes by the name of London.


That's not my opinion, hey. It's lyrics to a song in Sweeney Todd. I love musicals. I love Helena Bonham Carter. Sasha Baron Cohen is cool and you can't forget the magnetic-ism (is that a word?) of Johnny Depp. There's a few other stars in Tim Burton's new film, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and I have to say, after my poor ass watched the movie on bootleg, I was quite impressed.

Although the music in Sweeney Todd is monotone and the womens voices sound like shrieking, I loved hearing Johnny Depp sing. He started his career as a musician, so I was interested in how well he would do. Of course, he mastered it with the best diction award. I barely recognized Sasha Baron Cohen and he brought the comedy, as would be expected. Helena is darling in the movie. I can't get enough of her. Also, the costume and set designs are remarkable in pure Tim Burton style. I can see in parts of the movie where it is set up to be a Broadway musical, rather than a movie. Differing camera angles and actor movements, along with flashbacks, allow the movie to move along.

With all the talk of celebrities, we almost forget the amazing story of Sweeney Todd. This is not a traditional cookie cutter story. It's got the lies, murder and love-loss, as seen in most stories, but the underage drinking, cannibalism, homo eroticism, and incest sets it apart from the rest. I would say it's my cup of tea.

Go out and watch the movie! I am waiting to buy it on DVD.

0 comments: