BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 16, 2007

Karina Nistal: The Nicest Artist with Style


Karina Nistal and
DJ Mad Sounds 2007, from my personal collection















I met Karina Nistal a little over a year ago and instantly fell in love with her magnetic energy and humble smile. Karina has been spreading Hip-Hop all over Houston for about 10 years and there is no stopping her. Born and raised in Houston, her music is a fusion of inspirations that make anyone want to dance and feel good. Many people may know her music, but not many people know the artist. I sat down and wrote out a few questions for her to answer, so here goes:

1. You’ve been singing and performing for over 10 years in the music scene. How did you get your first break?

Depending on what we would consider a break... The first time my music was ever released was in 99'. It was a compilation called "Tracks from the Waxx" released by my label Starlightbeats. The second time was a tour back in 2001 when we (Rebel Crew) traveled to the UK for a month to perform.

2. You won yourself a Houston Press aware this year for best Local Rap, beating out a few big names. How did you celebrate your win? Is the award sitting on a shelf somewhere?

I celebrated my win with a few close friends over sushi after the awards show. The award is sitting on my dresser next to a picture of my folks and my favorite press release.

3. Your music is a fusion of Latin, Hip-Hop, and Dance. How have your biggest influences molded your art?
I have so many influences that's it's hard to single them out, but I wanted to bring all of them together into a mash-up and didn't want to necessarily be put into one specific genre. I love the variety and even though I have specific influences, I can't credit any particular one with my style.

4. You recently spent a month in the Middle East, performing for the troops. Why did you decide to go and what did you hope to accomplish?
I decided to go because there are thousands of people sacrificing their lives for us daily so we can have our freedoms. There isn't much I can do to return the favor except give them my music and hope they like it. My mission was to go out there, entertain them, raise their morale and I can say I did that. Besides, I got to travel the world and see 5 different countries. I may have gained more!

5. What was a turning point in your trip to the Middle East? Were there any moments that made you reflect on our culture in the United States, or culture at home?

The turning point was when we went back to civilian life. More than half the trip we were staying on the bases like military personnel. We were to abide by their regulations and we weren't allowed to leave the base. Once we were back to civilian life, we stayed in hotels and were able to venture out to explore. Being a tourist in some of those cities gave me a lot of time to reflect on our culture. I am proud to be American. I enjoyed seeing how our military operates and I enjoyed seeing how other countries have adapted western civilization to theirs. They are pretty hip to our music and trends.

6. You co-host/host a series of local parties in H-town. What are they and why should people attend?

The Scenario and DUNK are two very cool hip hop parties that BBC brought me into as a co-host. These parties are a good way to end the stressful work week. The Starbucks Mixed Media Party at the MFAH was another event BBC was hosting and I was asked to co-host. He and I make a great team as hosts. Everyone should attend at least one MFAH party. These museum parties have put Houston on the map! The last hosting events people will see my name on are any Rebel Crew events. That is the name of my collective and every so often we'll come together to throw a good event where you'll see everyone dancin, like a good ol' house party. Of course my favorite events to participate in are the ones I'm performing.

7. How do you wind down after a tough day?

Funny you ask...I have a few ways to wind down. Some nights I'll catch up with one of my best friends over dinner and drinks. Some nights I'll come home and start writing new material. Some nights I'll come home and just watch Spanish soap operas lol

8. How do you keep yourself humble?

By being appreciative for what I have. Anything can change from one day to the next so I stay grateful to the Most High for what has been provided.

9. What gives you the confidence to do your thing?

I L.O.V.E. what I do and there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

10. Where do you want your music to take you in the future?

I want to keep seeing the world. I want to be able to start a non-profit organization so I can provide for the underprivileged.

11. Is there anything we can look forward to you bringing us in the near future?

More NEW music!

12. Any last words?

I'd like to thank my family and friends for their continued support. Thanks to everyone who has come to check out at least one show and thanks to everyone who purchased my freshman album Nistyle! L.O.V.E. ya'll.


www.karinanistal.com
Karina's myspace
Buy her CD

0 comments: