BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 30, 2007

Books that Rock: SLASH



"I did a hit of smack before we went on, which, mixed with the liquor I had already been drinking, made my stomach so rotten that I'd turn around and blow chuncks over the back of my amps every five minutes."

I think that sets the tone for Slash's autobiography.

Slash lived the sex, drugs and rock n' roll stereotype to his full advantage. Being born from "flower children" his life had to be rock n' roll. Considering the rock stars he hung out with as a child, everyone from David Bowie to John Lennon entered his life at a young age and set the standard. He writes about his parents divorce, his relationships, GNR and the roller coaster ride it was, his drug addictions and how Velvet Revolver is a new chapter in his life. The more I read, the more I respected him and missed hardcore rock stars today. He is and was a determined man, to make the best rock n' roll band in the world, despite his inner demons and struggles within his band. It's hard knocks.

I found his autobiography a bit cliche at times, but sincere and honest. There are plenty of stories he told that made me go from laughing out loud to thinking, 'how is this guy so lucky to be alive?' It makes me long for more passionate musicians that ooze charisma and talent. If you love rock n' roll survivors, then you want to pick this book up and give it a read. There are also amazing and rare pictures of Slash throughout his life and career. The autobiography gives Slash a voice besides the guitar. Check it out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

im wondering what he stated about his biracial identity. For some time there he stated he was white then black? Now that velvet revolver broke-up i wonder what he's up to next. Wait for axl to get his stuff together? Maybe not. Roots