
I have to start by saying that I am always intrigued by the tactics used during debates. It’s truly an art form. Watching the debates between Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama, I sit with a bag of chips, intrigued by these people and with ultimate respect.
Everyone knows my support for Barack Obama is 100 percent. That is not to say that Hilary Clinton is not an amazing icon for women that shows determination, assertiveness, and as the SNL skit went last week, “bitchiness.” I am appalled at people who take a woman’s confidence as coldness or her assertiveness as emotional. However, what I think this presidential race come down to is connecting with the American People.
Both candidates have opposite styles. While Obama is laid back and quiet, Clinton is forceful and vocal. Clinton is losing points because she can not connect with people the way Obama can. In public relations, you have to relate to the public (duh). Her sarcasm and condescending comments are not appropriate in representing America. During the debate in Ohio tonight, she made many spoiled comments. One, she complained about always having to answer the first questions in the debates and she reflected on the SNL skit in which Tina Fey speaks about how we need a ‘bitch’ to run the country. Clinton quoted the skit, “Well,” she responded, her voice rising, “could I just point out that, in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time? And I don’t mind. You know, I’ll be happy to field them, but I do find it curious. And if anybody saw ‘Saturday Night Live,’ you know, maybe we should ask Barack if he’s comfortable and needs another pillow.” Various boos from the audience did not win her over with that reference. Two, when asked about releasing her tax returns to the public before March 4th, she stated that she would when she can; she is a bit ‘busy now.’ I understand her sense of humor, for it is my own. However, I am not very popular with many people because people don’t like that kind of humor in general. What makes her think that foreign countries understand it? Obama knows how to be a good sport and go with the flow. One of the laws of power, is keeping your mouth shut until someone else opens it up. Obama’s passive style is actually a power move.
Now, on to the issues: Clinton is an excellent debater. She does her research and knows how to say what she needs to say within context. I feel that Obama did not win any new votes off this debate. As predicted in the past, Clinton will have a higher chance of winning Ohio, than Texas and I believe this is true, based upon the debate tonight. Although Clinton and Obama have differences in health care, I don’t believe they are large enough of differences to matter to the American public. Also, the NAFTA situation does not help Clinton, considering she supported it in the past and is going back on her words. However, she has, what I think, a better foreign policy because of her experience. This will help her fight it out against McCain, if she runs for President. McCain is a war Mongol and knows foreign policy inside and out and perhaps Clinton is better prepared for his attack.
On a personal note, it made me laugh that Clinton is so desperate to find vulnerability in Obama that, when he was asked about the support of Farrakhan and Farrakhan’s anti-semitist remarks, that Clinton said there is a difference between rejecting and denouncing the remarks. Both of the words mean exactly the same. The audience got a good laugh out of that, as well.
Overall, this race is neck and neck. All of my friends who support Clinton, I applaud you for taking a stand on your opinions. However, my opinions are the right opinions, and Barck Obama should win this race.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Politics: How the Ohio Debate Made Me Think
Posted by Liz Simone at 6:38 AM
Labels: Barack Obama, Opinions, politics
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment