BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 3, 2008

NIN: Ghosts I-IV Review



Nine Inch Nails has done it again. This time, without a label, Trent Reznor has released his new instrumental album titled, Ghosts I-IV. It has 36 tracks and over 2 hours worth of expectedly eerie sounds. Of course everyone will be talking about it. It is an amazing work. First off, there are different formats for online download.

A. Free download of the first 9 tracks
B. $5 for the mp3 versions with a 40 page PDF
C. $10 for the two set CD
D. $75 and $300 worth of something for really psycho fans who want to waste their money

As soon as the album went for online sale, NINer's scrambled and the site crashed. Problems are still being worked out, which sucks because I still haven’t gotten my $5 worth. Instead, I got a corrupted file that will not load. Great. TR ‘thought’ they were prepared and had to bring in more servers. Thanks TR, for having an inferiority complex and thinking your loyal fans suddenly don’t like you anymore. I have survived, however. I am not having an aneurysm or anything. I am sure I am not the only person annoyed by the website issue. As we can see, this is one downside of selling music sorely through the internet.

On the other hand, because it is on the internet, we can get a sample listen and decide what we like or not. As for the music, from what I have heard, this is very much your typical moody, layered, repeated fragments, which have made Trent Reznor a popular artist, who is still relevant after 20 years. It reminds me of parts of my favorite NIN album, The Fragile. The track, 34 Ghosts sounds like he took it from earlier in his career. However, we all get a sense that he recycles his styles, especially for the last few albums.

Personally, I like that this album is instrumental only. I was not looking forward to any mid-life crisis issues TR had to complain about. The fact that he wined about no one buying Saul Williams album made me twinge at how he seemed worried that he will grow old with no love. Please. People still love TR. In all truth, I was not a fan of Year Zero although I appreciated his lyrical exploration outside of himself. However, it was the music of the songs that did not connect with me. Ghosts bring the listeners back to the importance of the musical content, rather the lyrical. It allows us to interpret the moods on our own and make a statement through out own being. For all the whiners who are complaining about how he isn’t singing, don’t be fucking posers. Instrumentals have always been just as important for Nine Inch Nails as the vocals and lyrics. Check the resume of video games and movies Reznor has composed and tell me I am wrong.

Although I am predicting that the instrumentals may or may not grow monotonous with many repetitions, I think that the melodies and sounds are beautiful. I am really looking forward to hearing this album in as much of one hearing as possible. I don’t think I have 2 hours straight on my hands. The point is, if you are already a fan, you will love this album. If you are a new fan, it’s a great introduction to NIN. And the good thing is, your grandma may let you listen to it.

Tracks I adore: 31 (hardcore), 34 (The Fragile), 15 (remember Stomp?), 28 (real chill, beautiful).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a similar view about artist taking control over their own music and consumers previewing these millionares' music.but i still like going to the store(the ones that still sell music) and buying music the old fashion way.radiohead did both ways which was smart. roots

Liz Simone said...

Radiohead is still signed to a record label, which makes distribution a bit easier to get to record stores, I suppose. And then people give Radiohead beef about how they are selling out by doing it both ways, which I don't see.

But NIN is gonna be available at Best Buy, but probably not your local fave record shop. Honestly, I don't listen to Ghosts enough to really need it in vinyl or any other form, besides mp3.