BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Astra Heights in Houston

Now, that I have some free time, I want to post my review of Astra Heights, from last week on March 10 and The Backdoor in their hometown of Houston.

I had never seen these guys in person before and had no idea what kind of audience they would bring, especially on a Monday night. I didn't know what to expect.
For the good:
The show was pretty good. They have enthusiasm, energy, and talent. Lead singer, Mark, has the charisma that a good front man should have, while the lead guitarist, Bernard is a nice offset to the singer. Both men have charm and passion for the music. The audience was full of old time fans and family. The band has been together for 7 years, so it seemed like everyone were close. It was a real laid back and friendly vibe, as everyone seemed comfortable around one another.
Now the bad: As for the other guitarists, I was not impressed. While the bassist guitarist lacks stage presence, the rhythm guitarist has ants in his pants, dancing around pretentiously. I didn't get it. Now, maybe I am jaded because in the middle of the show he went to the mic and said something about how he hates Texas humidity and has to keep tuning his guitar and the humidity messes his hair up. Well, buddy, tuning your guitar is just part of the gig. And don't insult the audience with your bullshit about humidity bothering you. The lead guitarist basically told him to shut up and that he looked pretty - just rock. I think he should take that advice. Shut the hell up. You obviously are not rock n roll if you are worried about your damn hair while you are on stage. Go join Fall Out Boy or some emo band. Don't make the rest of the guys look like posers because you are secretly gay and/or very insecure. Not cool. This is rock n roll. Just play the music and do it with heart, not your hair products. Thank you.

Okay, that being said, despite the pansy comment, the show was impressive for small time bands that come through town that were actually from here. Plus, 3/5 of the guys are real friendly and down for drinks and spirits. If you like Brit rock, a fun show, guys in pants that are way too tight, and dancing, then an Astra Heights show would be a good one to go to if you have nothing else to do.

Go find the links if you care.

0 comments: