The last few times the Burning Brides have come through Houston, I sadly missed them. This time, although my feet hurt from work and I was tired, I forced myself off of my chair and drove to the Meridian to see the trio do their thing.
First off, Max Cady, a band from Dallas, was the local opening band, which surprised me at how good they were. I rarely find Texas bands that I like and Max Candy has pretty good, straight on, rock n roll riffs. They weren't glamorous, cheesy, and most of all, they weren't pretending to be anything they were not. I would definitely check them out again.
As for Fu Manchu, the headliners, I skipped them. I am not a fan and I came out to see The Burning Brides. Interestingly enough, a trend by many bands, they are independent and free of a record label. They released Hang Love on their own. Their independence in the business aspect really reflects their musical style. They are passionate about rock and you can tell when you watch them perform.
Although the audience was a small one, the Burning Brides played like they were playing to an auditorium. Bassist, Melanie Coats, bounced around on stage, with a soft smile showing underneath her tasseled hair, while her husband, guitarist and lead singer, Dimitri, entertained with some amazing guitar distortion and solos.
Go out and support these great bands.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Burning Brides with Fu Manchu
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment