BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Jubliee: A Gay Ol' Time with Aaron North...not really


Check out the cool logo...best I've seen


It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to comment on Aaron North's (NIN, The Icarus Line) new band, Jubilee. Most ex-nin bandmembers are still employed to some extent. They are working with other musicians, or making elevator music a la Jerome Dillon and have possibly, 10 fans. Considering The Icarus Line was full of shit and I wanted to punch the lead singer, I was hoping that all the criticism that is talked about on Buddyhead about "killing it" would hold up with Jubilee. I mean, if you're gonna talk shit, you better back it up. Thing is, the songs are alright. They are growing on me, but nothing is being killed here. There isn't really a soul present. I mean, emotion is what makes rock n roll turn your stomach.

There are definitely good influences in the songs you can stream off their myspace. You can hear them, but it doesn't make it original or good in the sense of making a difference. The reason why The Replacements, The Stone Roses, Neil Young, Blur, Jane’s Addiction, Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and The Verve have made their paw prints in the music world is because they all brought something creative and original to the table that included passion. At moments, I feel like Jubilee is just masturbating the songs and it's purely a selfish and pretentious act for the sake of having results.

Let's go get a smoothie, guys.








Being the skeptic that I am, it took me many listens to find what I liked about the songs for the single Rebel Hiss. They are a bit over polished. It makes me suspicious that suckiness is hiding beneath the pretty. Of course, you can't tell if a band truly sucks until they play live. It's too bad they are hitting my Brits first. You know I love Brits. Fuzz Are Down is my favorite of the three. I like the sound effects, the riff, the drumming, and the fact that they wrote the song in 20 minutes. Sometimes, it's all you need. Fool on the Pill is a copycat song, but it's not bad. Been there, done that. Rebel Hiss is too repetitive and North's singing is mediocre and slightly annoying. You can't understand much of what is being sung. Having Josh Freese play the drums doesn't make the song any better, either. I actually like the drumming style of Loren Shane Humphrey. He's a good kat. Above all, the songs remind me too much of other bands I like and frankly, I'd rather listen to the originators.

Aaron to bandmates:
I once thought I had mono for an entire year.
It turned out I was just really bored.








Holler.

All I know, if you look like a grease ball, then your music should reflect it. I mean, take a shower and wash your hair, North. It doesn't make you more rock n roll. Your music sounds too neat. Take some advice from the icons and do some drugs. Get your demons dancing so you can make some real soul in your songs that turn our stomachs inside out. Or maybe you don't have what it takes to be a front man?

Dun...dun...dunnnnnnnn ;)

Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?


EDIT** I think it is obvious I was PMSing when I wrote this. I stand by it though, despite the harshness.

0 comments: