I am at home after the Cheap Trick/Heart/Journey gig and I am eating chili with beef in it because I am starving, too lazy to make anything, and I need the protein. I'll go back to being a veggie tomorrow and after my stomach turns sour.
As for the gig, it was exhausting. I hauled my butt 30 miles to the Woodlands, where all the 'tards live. Then, I hiked about two miles from the parking lot to the Woodlands Pavilion, and sweated all of my energy drink out of me. I felt like I walked a marathon.
I was running late, and Cheap Trick was already on stage, but fortunately, I could hear their whole set from the mile hike. I didn't miss, however, I Want You to Want Me, which is their only song I know.
Now, Heart took the stage. I have always loved Heart. Two rock n roll chicks that really know how to play their instruments, sing, and write beautifully crafted songs. Ann Wilson has such a powerful and passionate voice. Although, it was Nancy Wilson who brought tears to my eyes during, These Dreams.
That right there, was the show for me. It was worth the bucks. Now, I can say that I have seen another set of legends perform live. Amazing.
However, I am apparently a poser because I DID NOT know that Steve Perry was not the lead singer of Journey anymore! No, now there is a weird young dude with American Indian hair that sounds almost.. just like Perry. The guy won a contest off of Youtube to win a spot in the band. Wow, Youtube is certainly a pop culture phenomenon. Maybe I should start making videos, too.
I can't say how the entire Journey set went because I left after the second song. It was not the same without Steve Perry. No sound-alike can replace him.
Can bands PLEASE stop replacing their lead singers with phonies? It's just not the same!!
Cheap Trick : Good
Heart: ICONIC
Journey: Lame
PS: At the Woodlands Pavilion, if the show is SOLD OUT: Drive up to the Pavilion and picnic out near the pond they have right outside the venue. There is tons of grass that you can lay a blanket down and eat your own, cheap food. For popular shows, the venue puts out a speaker so you can hear the live music. You can't see a thing, but you usually can't see from the lawn anyway. TONS of people were chillin' on their blankets right outside the venue and you could hear the music, perfectly. You get to save on a price of a ticket and still hear (but not see) the sold out show.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment