My pre-op was 10 days before my surgery. It consisted of blood tests, to make sure I was healthy. Also, I was fitted for my garment that I would be wearing for a few weeks after the surgery. It's like a corset that sucks you in, and keeps you from swelling too much. They gave me instructions for the following weeks: no alcohol, do not take vitamins, and nothing with aspirin. Easy enough. I thought it would be harder to go without the alcohol on the weekends, but it wasn't. I just drank a sugar free Rockstar and still had a good time.
The day of surgery, I was real nervous. I didn't know if I were to expect a lot of pain, or if I were going to be up and running around like the brainwashing video said in the waiting room. Before I went to the doctor, I washed in a peroxide rinse. I was sterilized and ready to go. I was led to a small room where I took off my clothes and put on these paper undies and bra that were basically pointless. You could see right through them and they didn't fit. They were too big. Good thing I was over my modesty. I was basically naked. The nurses then rubbed me down in more of that brown peroxide stuff. The best tan I have had in years.
Then, the doctor walked in. He in his forties and has been doing liposuction since I was born. A very good looking man, I didn't mind him grinding that metal rod in my gut. Anyways, I felt very comfortable in front of the doctor and the nurses. I was given some pills that relaxed the hell out of me, so perhaps that's why the nerves were gone. I fell asleep the first hour of the procedure. The doc took a small rod and poked the areas that were going to be lipo-ed with anesthesia. It stung like hell, especially around my ribs. Once the areas were numbed, I fell into a relaxed state. All I felt was pressure from his hand and the laser.
We started the procedure around 2pm and were finished around 5:30pm. It took so long because we were doing three areas: upper and lower abs and the lovehandles. Also, I apparently have tough fat, much like the black girls, the doctor said. So it just proves I am a black girl on the inside.
My mom came to pick me up and I was groggy. I got in my mom's bed and before long, my mom woke me up saying it was 8pm. She drove me home and I visited with some roommates, but my stomach started hurting, so I went to bed around 9:30 and slept an additional 10 hours that night. I felt no real pain because I was still numb, but I was stiff and couldn't move too much. I was just happy to go to bed.
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Pre-op and surgery: Day 1 Friday
Posted by Liz Simone at 3:23 PM
Labels: day 1, Liposuction
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment