BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Youth vs. Maturity

When we think of youth, we think of freedom, beauty, and nonchalance. Society spends millions of dollars a year on botox injections and other forms of youth enhancing supplements in order to prolong that look of being young. However, I have met people in their 40's of which feel and look great without it. What are their secrets?

Many of my friends are turning 30 this year, and I am turning 29 in a few months. My teens were full of insecurities and self-doubt. Through my early twenties, my confidence was merely a facade. I didn't know who I was or what I wanted from life, although I thought I did. It seems each year, I am fitting better into my own skin, as my experiences have taught me more about myself and that society's standards can't tell me my needs. I feel great. I have a positive attitude. I feel like no one can touch me.

The definition of youth, according to MSN Encarta


youth [ yooth ]

noun  (plural youths)

Definition:
 
1. time when somebody is young: the period of human life between childhood and maturity
2. time of being young: the state of being young
3. young man: a boy or young man in his teens or early twenties
4. early stage: an early stage of something
5. geology erosion stage: the first stage in landscape formation in which fast-flowing streams travel down steep mountain valleys

 The word itself is quite subjective. The early stage of something...of what? And what does maturity mean? With so much knowledge in the world, how do you know when you are mature? Apparently, it's a word we can't put our hands on, either.


ma·ture [ mÉ™ chr ]


adjective 

Definition:
 
1. acting or seeming like adult: showing the mental, emotional, or physical characteristics associated with a fully developed adult person
Philip is only 12 but he's very tall and already quite mature.
2. experienced: showing qualities gained by development and experience
in the author's mature writings
3. adult: adult or fully grown
a mature animal capable of breeding
4. fully developed: describes an organism that is fully developed to a complete or final stage
5. old and of good flavor: old enough to have acquired the maximum flavor
mature cheddar
6. in later life: no longer young
the wisdom shown by the mature dramatist
The role is that of a mature woman with a successful career behind her.
7. for adults: made up of or suitable only for adults
Because of the subject, this movie is recommended for mature audiences only.
8. involving serious thought: involving or reached by a period of serious thought
On mature reflection, I feel it would be wiser to sell.
9. due for payment: describes a financial arrangement that has reached a previously set or mutually agreed-on time limit and is therefore due for payment or repayment
mature bonds
10. not subject to major change: no longer subject to the instability of early development or expansion
Hydroelectric power is a mature industry in the region.
11. in middle of erosion cycle: describes a natural feature or landform that is in the middle stages of an erosion cycle


If we look at definition 4 of youth and 11 of mature, we have a conflict. If 'youth' is at the beginning cycle of the erosion process, why is 'mature' in the middle? Could this mean that to reach maturity means to only make it half way through what else there needs to be learned? Are we ever fully developed throughout our lives? If not, then it means we are never fully mature.

I think it comes down to the fact that none of us knows the answers or the real meanings of these words because they are different for each person. "I feel old," is something I've heard and said before, but I am clearly not 'old.' It's a state of mind that can change throughout our lives and it comes from how we feel about ourselves at that given moment.

I think the secret to youth comes from within. When you walk into a room full of strangers, how do you feel? Nervous? Do you wonder what others are thinking? Or do you own the room like a lion wandering the jungle? When you feel good about yourself and take care of yourself, it reflects through your appearance. You'll stand straighter, frown less, be in better shape, have clearer skin, and take life easy. Society is obsessed with youth because we all want to feel vibrant. And you can, no matter what year you were born.

8 comments:

GPS Tracking System said...

Hi,
We are specialized in Advanced GPS Tracking Device including GPS Tracking System, GPS Fleet Tracking System, Real Time GPS Tracking and completing your requirement for Vehicle Tracking, Bike Tracking and Personal Tracking device at very affordable prices.

Thanks

E-Learning Software India said...

Hi,
We transform ideas and information into innovation, action, flexible delivery and rapid deployment and provide all the features you need to create professional and high quality Ebay Clone Website through our Ebay Clone Software.

Thanks

Ebay Clone Script said...

Hi,
We transform ideas and information into innovation, action, flexible delivery and rapid deployment and provide all the features you need to create professional and high quality Ebay Clone Website through our Ebay Clone Software.

Thanks

Online Shopping said...

Hi,
Faljo.com - Your online source for Online Auctions, Online Shopping, Car Auctions and much more. Buy and Sell with our Online Auction community today, the World's online marketplace. Just Sign up and begin to buy and sell everything in auction now.

Thanks

GPS Micro Tracker said...

Hi,
We are specialized in Advanced GPS Tracking Device including GPS Tracking System, GPS Fleet Tracking System, Real Time GPS Tracking and completing your requirement for Vehicle Tracking, Bike Tracking and Personal Tracking device at very affordable prices.

Thanks

Online Reverse Auction said...

Hi,
We have an site in which you can Bid and win best deals on online auction by bidding online at pujaclic.es Penny.

Funny Sms said...

nice to meet u
your blog's cool,
have free time visit my blog
http://smstex.blogspot.com

rsgoldfast said...

I'm extremely pleased to become joining this specific community along with contributing towards any eco friendly sector."As however, your studio room has never unveiled just

about any details about its future projects. Carlyle instructed MCV that they will to begin with hire people with a getting time frame as an alternative to full time.A few weeks

ago, individuals the sport improvement facilities at Kennedy Miller Mitchell have been laid off.


RS 07 Gold

Buy RS 07 Gold