The older I get, the more conservative I get on the issue of government assisted funds. I grew up without a lot of money, but my father's pride was too strong for us to use food stamps in public. Back then, it wasn't a nifty credit card, but actual paper that stood out from real money. It was embarrassing. I remember my mother paying for our food and my father telling her to hurry up so that no one saw the food stamp money. Although we were poor, my father always had a sense of pride in him that made him feel obligated to support his family without government assistance. I always disagreed with him until recently. Now that I have struggled through college, have a salary paid job and have seen what government support like food stamps, WIC, and welfare can do to people - and it isn't a good thing.
It's strange how many people I know that use food stamps or welfare and they are not your stereotype: they have nice homes, shop at Ikea more than I could afford, and even get free daycare or preschool for their children and never complain about money. On the other hand, you have the stereotype: people who keep reproducing children and take advantage of the system to the point they act like the country owes them money. It makes me think: how is this fair? I struggle with my middle class salary, trying to get out of school loan debt and credit card debt, while they get to have freebies handed to them? I didn't screw up my life by carelessly getting pregnant, so I have to pay for your mistakes by my taxes paying for your food and rent? Where is the balance? How is the government deciding who and how much is being handed out? Shouldn't there be a cut off point where you only recieve assistance for a period of time?
Don't get me wrong. We all make mistakes, we all are naive at one point, we all think we are invisible until something happens and it's like woah - I have a freakin' kid. I would never want an innocent child to go without its necessary and basic needs. However, in my opinion, I feel like many people use their child and the governement's assistance as a crutch to NOT rise up and do any better than their current situation. I mean, why should you? Why should you go to college and get a higher paying job when you can get free money for living how you live right now? Why should your goals be higher because then you would have to pay for your kid to go to preschool and pay for your own food. Why not just keep making excuses? It's easier to believe you are a victim that needs help than someone who needs to take responsibility and learn how to budget and live off of your own means.
It makes me sad. It makes me angry. What is the American Dream now? Immigrants have always come to this country to have a better life. For example, my friends family came from Iran after the Revolution and ate green beans for months and struggled for years before they hit the jackpot and became successful. Her mom owns a house in Memorial and her own company. Why is it that these younger generations feel like people who work hard and become successful, owes them money for NOT being successful? Where do you think the freebies come from? It doesn't come out of thin air. So guess what - next time we talk about having dinner together, we are going to your house - and I'll eat the percentage I paid for with my own hard earned time and money.
Rise up! Have goals! STOP MAKING EXCUSES! I came from a poor family and now I have a stable job and make more money than my father did, raising a family of four. The government needs to have stricker rules when it comes to government assistance. Give more to our disabled and elderly - they NEED it! A young 25 year old with all the potential in the world needs to stop being a lazy leech and work hard like the rest of us.
My opinion. My blog.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Babies, Money, and the Government
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment